Monday 3 June 2013

Why do we not have memories related to early life?





For a long time, researchers (and it is true, we all) have asked why we do not remember events that I attended before the age of three years.Now, a new study indicates that "infantile amnesia" may occur due to the rapid growth they are experiencing neurons in the hippocampus, the brain region responsible for introducing new experiences in long-term memory.Although children seem to remember important events shortly after experimenting type, these memories disappear with time, says study coordinator, Paul Frankland of the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. "Children can not form stable memories about the events of the first years of life. I have a 4 year old daughter and it worked on the study, always wondering if he remembered the places we had visited with 2, 3 months ago. It is clear that it can form memories retaining some details, but over another four years, he will not remember a thing, "said Frankland.Întotdeauna to suspect that the hippocampus is involved in this process. "The hippocampus is maturing slowly and probably up to 3-4 years does not reach a reasonable level of maturity. While children aged 3 to 4 years can remember things short term hippocampus is needed to store information in long-term memory, "said Dr. Eric Kandel, director of the Kavli Institute for Brain Research from Columbia University.Hippocampus as they mature, they form a large number of new neurons to be placed in the existing channels. Most likely, in the process of restructuring the brain "forgets" where the stored memories. As the process of expansion is slowing down, the brain can easily track where such information is stored and long-term memory begins to work better.So to test this theory, Frankland conducted an experiment on young mice. Scientists have slowed the pace at which new neurons are formed in the hippocampus of mice. Normally, the offspring of mice and children have the same problem with long-term memories: if you learn how to navigate a maze in a few days they forget what they have learned. Instead, the study, mice that the process of creating new neurons had slowed and remembered how to get out of the maze. It seems that Frankland's approach is correct.Dr. Liana Apostolova the Brain Research Institute of UCLA, on 06.03.2013 said he was very pleased with the results of the study: "The discovery is very interesting and fits with the literature."Now, Frankland believes that will soon have the chance to test the theory and people. He knows many cases of children diagnosed with cancer receiving treatment, experiencing side effects such as slowing down the process of formation of new neurons. "We can do tests to see if treatment preserves memories of events before chemotherapy," he explained.


I Personally think there is the possibility that some "memories" very early to we create over time, from a story I've heard about us and that at a certain time we imagined it, maybe even as children, and then I internalized it as a souvenir. I have some questions of my memories from childhood, which I render the image through my eyes, but a picture from a distance, in which I see myself. I'm sure I remember really happened, but I think it's possible that my mind have created some information from the image stored in memory. Similarly, there are stories that I can not remember, but that I had imagined when I was recounted and now every time I think about those events, I remember what I imagined ... I can not imagine anything else.

Sursa: NBC News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Directories ChicagoIX.com Free general web directory web directorySubmit Blog, Blog Directory SubmissionBlogadr.com - Listed (add your blog to Blogadr.com)Blog Promotion, Promote Your BlogLinkPro - Director Webtop-portal - Director LinkuriBlogarama - The Blog Directory